When the weather turns cold here in Florida, us Floridans just can’t figure out how to warm up. It seems impossible. However, a nice warm bowl of chili can usually do the trick!
Veggie Loaded Chicken Chili is one of Igniter Brooke’s favorite recipes. In fact, it got her through many cold Maine winters before she joined us in Florida. It is the perfect meal to make for yourself at the beginning of the week, and then reheat for dinner each night. It’s hearty, full of nutrient dense ingredients, and EASY to make.
This Veggie Loaded Chicken Chili is everything that you need, all in one bowl.
The recipe includes quality protein, tons of veggies, over 9g of fiber per serving, and a sufficient source of healthy fats when topped with Avocado! (The toppings are definitely the best part, by the way.) If you’re needing more veggies for the day you can even serve the chili on a bed of mixed greens and call it a salad of sorts. If you’re looking to have a bit more of a carbohydrate dense meal you could even serve it over a baked sweet potato, or a winter squash! This meal is completely freezer friendly if you don’t like eating the same thing over and over and would like to stock your freezer with some easy healthy ready to eat meal options.
Chop those veggies ahead of time!
If you want to save a little time before dinner, you can chop the veggies a day or two ahead of time. We’re all about quick easy meals because we love convenience. Taking the time to chop your veggies ahead of time will get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
When it comes to toppings for this chili, the world is your oyster.
There are so many options that will be healthy and tasty inside your chili. Some recommendations are avocado, guacamole, cilantro, chopped onion, jicama, fried plantains (the crunch of a tortilla chip without the chip), plain greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, and Jalepenos. You do you when it comes to the toppings. This part of the recipe is completely customizable.
Let us know what you think, and stay tuned for more healthy recipes like this one.
Veggie Loaded Chicken Chili
Prep time: 15 Mins
Cook time: 25 Mins
Total time: 40 Mins
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil or Avocado oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 medium red onion, diced.
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced.
- 1 small zucchini or summer squash, diced.
- 1 medium carrot, diced.
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs cumin, ground
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, and 1/2 can of water.
- 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced tomatos
- 1 can (15 ounces) of black beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 cup of corn, frozen.
- dash of Cayenne (OPTIONAL)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: Diced avocado, cilantro, greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion, jicama and anything else
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat add the oil. Once the oil has warmed up, add the ground meat, garlic, onions, bell peppers, zucchini or summer squash and carrots and saute for 7-9 mins, or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add Seasonings, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, beans, corn and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 15 mins until you can stab a fork into the carrots. Serve with the toppings of your choice.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Follow step one from the stovetop instructions.
- Add the chicken and veggie mix to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients
- Cook on Low for 8 hours, or High for 4 hours.