You all know it, and most of you love it… Panda express Orange Chicken. *chefs kiss* The taste is immaculate, out of this world. However, it is filled with a bunch of junk that our body definitely doesn’t need. It is breaded, fried, contains over 19g of sugar, and is the highest calorie menu item at Panda Express. In my search to create healthier alternatives for the foods that I love, I found this amazing recipe for Orange Chicken that is even better than the real thing. Not only is the taste of the recipe great, but it is VERY easy to make, and SUPER macro friendly.
Easy, Healthy, Slow Cooker Chicken
Carbs: 22.5g Protein: 32.5g Fat: 3.5g
🕒 10 Min Prep Time | 4hr 0 min
Makes 827g | Eat 142g
(Please adjust the serving size to your preferred portion.)
1 Cup 100% Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce (Tamari if gluten-free)
1/4 Cup Smucker’s Orange Marmalade
2 Tbs Honey
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1 3/4 lb Raw Chicken
2 Tbs Corn Starch
- Mix the first 6 ingredients together in the slow cooker with a whisk or fork. Add Chicken Breasts.
- Cook on High of 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours. The chicken is done when it shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove the Chicken from the sauce, and dice into small pieces, or shred with two forks. Put back into slow cooker and coat in the sauce.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce, add the cornstarch to 1-2 Tbs of cold water, mix and the pour into sauce mixture. Stir with the slow cooker setting on high until sauce is simmering.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions or anything that you like for taste. Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or atop a bed of greens!
The ingredients for this recipe are simple, leaving you feeling better over all after eating this version of orange chicken. You can rest assured knowing you’re not putting a bunch of added junk into your body, but you’re still getting that yummy tangy taste you love. Let us know what you think, and stay tuned for more “copy-cat” healthier alternative recipes. Also- please let us know if there is a recipe you would like to see!